Old Building 1915 - 1967
THE HISTORY OF CAMPBELLSVILLE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The first Campbellsville community
Methodist Church was organized around 150 years ago. For many years a small
band of Methodists worshiped in a log school building on Big Dry Creek, two
miles from Campbellsville. In 853 they organized the Salem Methodist
Church with David Jones as its first pastor.
The congregation worshiped in the old
structure until the end of the War Between the States. Then a frame house
of worship was erected on a nearby site and was at that time dedicated to
the Conference. Salem became one of the strongest rural churches of
the section. This was in 1880.
A tornado during the late afternoon of Friday, March 13,
1913, destroyed most of the building, leaving only the foundation, floor,
pews, and the organ with a kerosene lamp sitting on it.
For some time, the Salem Church worshiped
with the Cumberland Presbyterians at Campbellsville. The two
congregations remained together until a new site was procured and a new
house of worship could be built in 1915. R. M. Chenault succeeded J.
K. Lee as pastor and saw the new church completed. He was the first
pastor to preach from the pulpit.
The name of the church was changed from
Salem Methodist Church to Campbellsville Methodist Church in 1941. MORE
Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Crockett Campbell, James Hannah and a Mr. Roper came down the Bumpass Trail
and settled near a large spring, which today bears Campbell's name. The
settlement became known as Campbellsville, and has continued to this day.
settlers began holding worship and prayer meeting in their homes; and
started camp meetings during the summer under the trees. They soon
started a brush arbor meeting in a grove east of the spring, known as
Poplar Grove; by 1820 a log church building had been constructed at that
location, which became known as the Poplar Grove Church. MORE
Campbellsville Church of Christ
Campbellsville Church of Christ began meeting
in a dwelling purchased from G.C. and Ella Hartsell. The members responsible for purchasing
the property were Bro. O.M. Beeler, Bro. Bill Lucy, Bro. Alsup, Bro. Dave
Lane, Bro. Jim Allen, and Sister Eunice Murphy Collins.
building was used as a meeting place until a church was erected in
1914. On December 30, 1951, this
building burned due to a gas explosion.
A new building was erected in
1952. The members met a
Campbellsville High School during the time the new church was being built.
H. Stout Campbellsville, TN